SGI Canada Newsletter, No.13 - November 6, 2020
SGI Canada Newsletter
Issue no. 13
November 6, 2020
Welcome to the thirteenth issue of the SGI Canada Newsletter, a bi-weekly summary of news, upcoming events and encouragement. The SGI Canada Newsletter replaces the previous SGI Canada Online News. All subscribers will automatically receive the SGI Canada Newsletter from now on. If you are not subscribing, you may do so by clicking on the button below. Subscriptions are free of charge and the SGI Canada Newsletter will be emailed directly to subscribers.
Soka Gakkai 2021 Theme Announced
2021 - “Year of Hope and Victory”
The theme for 2021 -- Year of Hope and Victory -- was announced by Soka Gakkai at the 47th Headquarters Leaders Meeting held in Tokyo at the Hall of the Great Vow for Kosen-rufu on November 1, 2020.
In a document released at the same time, Soka Gakkai states:
The year 2021 will be decisive in creating the momentum for victory in the next decade, and all the more so because of the world’s ongoing struggle against the Covid-19 pandemic. Where there is hope, there is victory, and where there is victory, there is hope.
The full document will be available online shortly and will be published in the February editions of New Century, Ère nouvelle and Chinese New Century.
SGI President Ikeda’s Message
“Creating a Future of Hope and Victory with the ‘Vast Heart’ of Soka” - SGI President Ikeda’s message to 47th Headquarters Leaders Meeting
In his message to the 47th Headquarters Leaders Meeting, SGI President Daisaku Ikeda speaks of the significance and the great benefits of our efforts for kosen-rufu:
The drama of human revolution is one in which the greater our struggles and efforts for Buddhism, others’ happiness, and the welfare of society, the more we are able to accumulate treasures of the heart and attain a boundless state of life filled with “the greatest of all joys” (OTT, 212), and to help others do the same.
We of the Soka Gakkai, linked by the bonds of mentor and disciple, are committed to encouraging and shining a light on each precious, uniquely talented individual. United in the spirit of “many in body, one in mind,” let us pledge together to impart great hope to our troubled world and exert ourselves bravely and vigorously to achieve the great spiritual victory of transforming the destiny of all humankind—a victory anchored in each of us developing a “vast heart.”
Please CLICK HERE to read the full message
SGI Canada Members’ Online Portal
As of November 18, SGI Canada members will be able to use an online portal to create their own personal SGI Canada accounts, in which they will be able to find useful information and make secure transactions.
The features will be initiated in two phases.
In the first phase, members will be able to access publications, contributions, tax receipts and their personal information. In the second phase, to be introduced in 2021, additional features will become available.
Following are the features:
- Online versions of English-language publications – If you are currently subscribing to New Century, SOKA or From Today Onward, you will be able to access online versions of the magazines immediately. The online versions are formatted for viewing by phone or computer.
- Online versions of French and Chinese-language publications – Ère nouvelle and Chinese New Century will be available to subscribers.
- Online subscriptions – Subscriptions to all SGI Canada publications will be available through the Online Portal
- Online donations – You will be able to safely and easily make one-at-a-time contributions to SGI Canada through the Online Portal
- Official donation receipts for income tax – You will be able to access and print official charitable donation receipts from SGI Canada for your donations over the last seven years
- Updating your information – You will be able to view and request corrections or updates of your contact, organizational, and other relevant information.
How to set up your online account, starting on November 18:
- Go to the SGI Canada website at sgicanada.org and click on the Online Portal button. Please note that the button will not appear on the website until November 18.
- Click on I have not created an online account and then Submit
- Fill out the personal information fields and click on Submit
- You will receive an email from email@example.com . The email will confirm your username and password (which you can change once you log into the site the first time). For assistance with setting up your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Once your username and password have been confirmed, you will be able to log into the online portal from the SGI Canada website at any time.
- In future Newsletters, we will post tips on how to use the portal more effectively, and we will let you know about new features as they are introduced.
New Soka Gakkai Global Website
To commemorate the 90th anniversary of the founding of the Soka Gakkai, a new website will be launched on November 18 for SGI members and interested people around the world. This new site www.sokaglobal.org will feature:
- Content in English, Spanish and Chinese
- Regular news stories from around the world
- Guidance, encouragement and introductory videos
- Study material
This site will replace www.sgi.org, a trusted resource for many years. The Soka Gakkai’s Office of Public Information says that the new site “will be a valuable online tool for worldwide kosen-rufu activities.”
District General Meetings in November
Let’s have warm and encouraging District General Meetings in November to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the Soka Gakkai—inspired by our wonderful Youth and Future Division members—in which everyone can “shine like the rainbow of hope!”
Young Phoenix Group Meeting in November
Congratulations on October’s successful SGI Canada Youth Festivals! We will restart our monthly online Young Phoenix Group Meetings on Sunday, November 15 at 4.00pm ET.
Note: SGI Canada Online Bookstore Closed in December for Inventory Audit
SGI Canada’s popular Online Bookstore will be closed from December 1 to January 3 for the annual inventory audit. If you are hoping to order books or other items before the end of the year, we encourage you to visit the bookstore as early as possible this month. You can visit the Online Bookstore at: https://sgicanada.myshopify.com/
We remind you that the bookstores at SGI Canada centres are closed until further notice because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Thank you for your understanding.
We hope you found this newsletter beneficial. Please email your questions or comments to email@example.com. The next SGI Canada Newsletter will appear on November 20, 2020. See you then!