SGI Canada Newsletter, No. 64 - October 28, 2022
SGI Canada Newsletter
Issue no. 64
October 28, 2022
Welcome to the 64th issue of the SGI Canada Newsletter, a bi-weekly summary of news, upcoming events and encouragement. If you are not subscribing to the SGI Canada Newsletter, you may do so by clicking on the button below. Subscriptions are free of charge, and the SGI Canada Newsletter will be emailed directly to you.
SGI President Daisaku Ikeda’s editorial: “The District Is the Arc de Triomphe of Life”
In his November editorial in the Daibyakurenge study magazine, SGI President Ikeda writes about the importance of each district:
With district leaders in the forefront, our districts brim with the same spirit as the Buddha to lead all people to enlightenment, striving to encourage each individual and compassionately spread the Mystic Law. How incredibly noble they are!
It doesn’t matter if some attack or malign our movement. For we know that anyone who honestly sees the warm human harmony evident in our districts—filled with members who pray for the happiness of others and devote themselves to the welfare and security of their communities—is bound to be impressed.
In our youth, my wife and I both strove wholeheartedly to expand our gathering of Bodhisattvas of the Earth from our districts, where everyone made our mentor Josei Toda’s spirit their own.
Speaking with a group of dedicated district leaders in the early days of our movement, I said:
As ordinary human beings, our problems are endless. But Nichiren Daishonin had problems, too—problems arising from his commitment to lead all people to enlightenment. Having dedicated our lives to kosen-rufu, we share those problems of the Buddha, and the harder we think and pray to resolve them, the greater we expand the life state of Buddhahood within us, in accord with the principle that “earthly desires lead to enlightenment.”
As we head toward the Year of Youth and Triumph (2023), let us make a great vow in our lives and our districts with fresh determination and advance dynamically!
The entire editorial will be published in the December edition of New Century.
SGI Canada Special Fund
Thank you so much for your sincere dedication and your support in every way for the advancement of kosen-rufu in Canada!
Contributions to the SGI Canada Special Fund can be made at any time by using one of the following two options:
- SGI Canada members can contribute online through the SGI Canada online portal at https://sgicinfo.org/portal/login
- You can also contribute by mailing a cheque, money order or bank draft to SGI Canada at: SGI Canada, 2050 Dufferin Street, Toronto, Ont. M6E 3R6
We deeply appreciate your courageous efforts to support and encourage your fellow members, families and friends at this very challenging time in the history of humankind. Thank you very much!
GOING PAPERLESS WITH YOUR OFFICIAL INCOME TAX RECEIPT!
You now have two options for obtaining the official income tax receipt for your donations to SGI Canada:
- SGI Canada can mail the receipt to you
- You can go paperless and download the receipt yourself from the SGI Canada website
Choosing to download the receipt yourself will allow SGI Canada to reduce its use of paper and devote more resources to activities for members. Once you choose to go paperless, you will no longer receive a receipt in the mail from SGI Canada.
In order to go paperless and download the receipt yourself:
- Sign in to your SGI Canada account at https://sgicinfo.org/portal/login. (If you do not have an SGI Canada account yet, please see the instructions below)
- On your personal information page, you will see a section titled Official Tax Receipt
- Click on the button in front of Your current option, and follow the instructions
You can change the way in which you receive your income tax receipt at any time between March 16 and December 30 each year.
Your tax receipt for 2022 will be available online by February 28, 2023.
Have you set up your online account yet?
SGI Canada members now have access to an online portal in which they can create their own personal SGI Canada accounts, subscribe to publications and make secure online donations.
Members can also use their online account to read the English and French-language publications to which they subscribe, and access their tax receipts and personal information.
How to set up your online account:
- Go to the SGI Canada website at sgicanada.org and click on the Online Portal button near the top right corner of your screen.
- Click on I have not created an online account and then Submit
- Fill out the personal information fields and click on Submit
- You will receive an email from email@example.com . The email will confirm your username and password (which you can change once you log into the site the first time). For assistance with setting up your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once your username and password have been confirmed, you will be able to log into the online portal from the SGI Canada website at any time.
Many SGI Canada members have already registered. We hope you will also take advantage of this convenient method of making online donations, subscribing to SGI Canada publications, and reading them online.
SGI Canada Online Bookstore Closed in December for Inventory Audit
SGI Canada’s popular Online Bookstore will be closed from December 4 to January 2 for the annual inventory audit. If you are hoping to order books or other items before the end of the year, we encourage you to visit the bookstore as early as possible this month. You can visit the Online Bookstore at: https://sgicanada.myshopify.com/
We remind you that the bookstores at SGI Canada centres are closed until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding.
We hope you found this newsletter beneficial. Please email your questions or comments to email@example.com. Please note that the next SGI Canada Newsletter will appear on November 11, 2022. See you then!