Paving the Way to Changing the Destiny of Humankind through Our Own Human Revolution
SGI President Ikeda sent the following message to the 46th Soka Gakkai Headquarters Leaders Meeting of the New Era of Worldwide Kosen-rufu, held in the Three Founding Presidents Conference Room of the Hall of the Great Vow for Kosen-rufu in Shinanomachi, Tokyo, on August 26, 2020. A newly composed world youth song, “Eternal Journey with Sensei,” was unveiled on this occasion.
Congratulations on this first Soka Gakkai Headquarters leaders meeting held in the Hall of the Great Vow for Kosen-rufu.
“The assembly on Holy Eagle Peak which continues in solemn state and has not yet disbanded” (OTT, 135)—these words perfectly describe this gathering of the Soka family, bound by their shared commitment “for the fulfillment of the great vow for kosen-rufu through the compassionate propagation of the great Law.” What a magnificent and infinitely creative assembly it is!
I am certain that our first and second presidents, Tsunesaburo Makiguchi and Josei Toda, would be especially pleased to see the courageous growth and advance of our youth division members, who embody the principle of “from the indigo, an even deeper blue.”
Ahead of the Soka Gakkai’s 90th anniversary (on November 18), let us deeply engrave in our lives once more the cornerstones of the spirit of the oneness of mentor and disciple. In November 1944, in the midst of World War II, Mr. Makiguchi, who was selflessly dedicated to propagating the Law, laid down his life for his beliefs. And in that very same month, Mr. Toda, who was waging an unremitting struggle in prison to protect the correct teaching, experienced a profound awakening to his identity as a Bodhisattva of the Earth.
The Soka Gakkai is none other than the gathering of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth called forth through the solemn resolve of this mentor and disciple united as one, transcending the bounds of life and death.
Each Soka Gakkai member is a bodhisattva who has emerged from the earth, cherishing a vow from time without beginning to work for kosen-rufu and establish the correct teaching for the peace of the land. They have each appeared voluntarily, in accord with their own wish, in the most challenging time and place in order to rid the world of suffering and misery.
Chanting and spreading the Mystic Law, the Bodhisattvas of the Earth possess unlimited power.
In “The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life” and other writings, Nichiren Daishonin indicates that the Bodhisattvas of the Earth can relieve people and the world from suffering by manifesting the fundamental compassion pervading the universe. He says they embody the power of the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, which he corresponds to the five elements of earth, water, fire, wind, and space (heaven). This could be expanded as follows:
(1) Just as the element of fire burns and gives light, the Bodhisattvas of the Earth can burn away suffering and pain, changing them into the wisdom to advance toward happiness and illuminating the darkness of the four sufferings of birth, aging, sickness, and death with the light of eternity, happiness, true self, and purity.
(2) Just as the element of water washes away filth, the Bodhisattvas of the Earth can wash away and purify the defilements of karma and the impurities of the age.
(3) Just as the element of wind blows away dust, the Bodhisattvas of the Earth can sweep away all obstacles and devilish functions and infuse people with fresh energy.
(4) Just as the element of earth nurtures and supports the growth of trees and grasses, the Bodhisattvas of the Earth can cherish life with a steadfast state of mind. They can build a society of peace, harmonious coexistence, security, and safety in which all can flourish in their own unique way in accord with the principle of “cherry, plum, peach, and damson” (cf. OTT, 200).
(5) Just as heaven provides nourishing moisture to all things, the Bodhisattvas of the Earth can create value that enriches and revitalizes the lives of all.
The Daishonin encourages us on a truly cosmic scale!
As the third Soka Gakkai president, carrying on the legacy of Presidents Makiguchi and Toda, I have blazed open the road to worldwide kosen-rufu together with my trusty lionhearted comrades in justice and shared struggle. We have done this through chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo for the happiness of ourselves and others and tapping the inexhaustible power of the Mystic Law to triumph over all onslaughts of the three obstacles and four devils.
The decade from the Soka Gakkai’s 90th anniversary to its centennial in 2030 will be crucial. We must be even more determined to show victorious proof of our own human revolution, to transform all great evil into great good, and to effect a powerful change in the destiny of all humankind.
The upcoming World Youth General Meeting (scheduled to be held on September 27) will mark the hope-filled start of that far-reaching journey of mentor and disciple.
With our beloved young global citizens of Soka in the lead, let’s summon forth the boundless life force of Bodhisattvas of the Earth, expand our network of good friends, and proudly fulfill our vow of mentor and disciple!
I am praying with all my heart for the health, security, happiness, harmony, and success of each and every one of you, my dearest and most precious fellow members.
 A passage found in the orally transmitted esoteric teachings of the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai of China.
 From one of the inscriptions on the Soka Gakkai Joju Gohonzon enshrined in the Hall of the Great Vow for Kosen-rufu.
 The five constituents of all things in the universe, according to ancient Indian belief.
Translated from the August 27, 2020, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, the Soka Gakkai daily newspaper. Published in New Century, November 2020 issue.